2013 was a crazy year… But I like who I’ve became so far, and I’m looking forward to whom I’m becoming. (Does that make sense?)
I’ve learned multiple things about myself and others this year. Some were great lessons… And others I feel like I could’ve done without.
Some of the top 3 lessons I’ve learned this year:
1. You MUST face yourself, including the “bad” and the ugly that you would rather pretend doesn’t exist. Once you face yourself, you can face anything.
2. Understand that NO ONE is perfect. Not your mother, not your father, not even the love of your life. Allow people the room to make mistakes AND eventually fix. Don’t let your unrealistic ideals of how people should act hinder them from growing. That’s unfair, & unhealthy.
3. You don’t HAVE to fix everything… One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned is that everyone can’t be helped, saved or have all their questions answered. You must get comfortable in the unknown. It’s okay. You will drive yourself crazy trying to be everyone’s savior. The most you can do for people is listen. But to try & fix everything? Nah Sway, you ain’t got the answers.
I’ve done some pretty great things this year… My top 3 are:
1. I launched this blog on August 1st! Thought I’ve been blogging for two years now, in August I’ve decided to switch things up. And I’ve been happier ever since.
2. I got myself off of academic probation! Those who remember my post about how hard I struggled my freshman year of college, know that this is a BIG DEAL. I was stressed out this whole semester but my hard work paid off finally.
3. I trained to be a rape crisis volunteer for the Women’s Center down in Carbondale. This means a lot to me because going thru this training helped me face a lot of fears & come to terms with a lot of my own struggles when it came to sexual abuse. Those 10 days with 5 hours dedicated each day were totally worth it!
My friends (old & new) and family really have helped me grow as a person this year! I’m so thankful for these people in my life. All the laughs, the tears, the encouraging words, the prayers, & the support have shaped me into a fine young lady. I’ve learned to appreciate genuine people in my life, & love unconditionally with no remorse.
I can say that in 2013, I became more of an individual… I started defining the terms in which I wanted to live in, and I’ve been considerably happier since doing so. I challenge and question almost everything, I’m more open-minded, more positive, more supportive of others & overall more genuine.
As 2014 approaches us, I just wanna say that I am GRATEFUL for all the lessons, and the blessings. I’m grateful for all the people I have met and even the crazy situations I have been in… For 2014, I just want wisdom and balance in everything that I set out to do….and to continue to grow into the person that I am supposed to be.
Happy New Year everyone!
– Kween K